Aran Language School is wonderful. Very professional. I am lucky because I have three classes that I teach. Some of the teachers have 4 mini-classes and two other classes that can be very stressful. Two of my classes are the same curriculum taught with another teacher. Each class has a little more than 20 children. They are called Immersion 6, but in reality they are early fives...one little boy is even younger. He is the cutest thing I have ever seen, but so naughty and too immature for the class. Both classes are two hours. The children pick up English so quickly. I have an hour lunch (without the kids oh yeah~) and then we start the second class. This is such a calm and wonderful class. It goes by so much faster than the first. I have another hour for prep. My last class is also two hours. They are called the Snow Owls and it is hands down my favorite part of the day. Their English is amazing. They are 12 bright, articulate, independent students! They are equivalent to first graders. I am alone in this classroom and feel very much in my element here.
Lesson plans and report cards are coming up very quickly and I am a bit stressed. I want to do my best, but I worry I am missing something crucial...like how I forgot the bus times changed in the morning and the head teacher had to come get me.....embarrassing....oi.
I was on some medication before I left the States and was feeling terrible the first two weeks. The first Saturday I was able to go out...I did. I went out with a pretty eclectic group of girls. I have always loved Soju and now I love it even more. You can take it anywhere: the parks, the subway, and any street. I am a person who thrives on the energy of others. It feels like Seoul has energy 10 fold of New York City and I love it. The city never sleeps (except the Subway). With no transportation home, (except for expensive cabs) it gives everyone an excuse to literally stay out to 7 in the morning. This is not something I will do every weekend, but the random people, street vendors, clubs packed beyond fire code, bright lights, and the simple energy of the city...makes me love it very very much!
I leave you with this song. This song is everywhere.... It is in the clubs, the kids know it...I think people in the States know it too?
That video is awesome! The dancing seriously had me cracking up, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be stuck in my head for a while.
ReplyDeleteOne question: what is soju?
ahh yes... Soju: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soju
DeleteI've been crazy busy at work too, so I'm catching up on your entries now. Glad your first week went well, and that you went out and had fun! That video cracked me up, and it sounds like they're saying "oopa condom star" to my ignorant ears.
ReplyDeleteNow I have to rewatch it just to sing along... "Oopa condom star!" And I thought it was catchy before!
DeleteIs there a set curriculum? Do you have to come up with you own lesson plans? Just curious; I'm in the interviewing process with CIS in Seoul through the same recruiter that you used.
ReplyDeleteThanks!