Monday, March 25, 2013

Oh North Korea

Many people have been asking me if I am scared of what is happening in North Korea. I have many different feelings. On one hand, if I didn't read American news I wouldn't even know anything was going on. Koreans are so over it. The North has been making threats since the Korean war died down. They have decided to not let fear ruin their lives. On the other hand, there is a new leader. A snarky little boy who has a reputation to uphold for his citizens. He has to be respected. His threats seem to have more weight. I am scared that one night after too many soju shots he will decide it is time for a go. One day on the way to work, we saw military men having a drill along side the woods next to the highway. They had their large guns and it was one of the creepiest moments I have experienced. War could occur. The thing that settles me more than my co-workers is that I was in NYC during 9/11. We didn't know 9/11 would happen. We couldn't predict it. I can't let fear ruin my life. I could move back home and the next day get shot in my own classroom by a deranged student. Of course, that doesn't mean I am going to move to a place like Kabul and call it a day. I will remain smart and vigilant of what is going on around me. If the embassy gives advice, I will take it. For right now, everything is like it always is. I love Korea and it's people.

No comments:

Post a Comment