Thursday, September 20, 2012
Age is just a number?
I have been feeling kinda old lately. I just celebrated my 34th birthday and almost all the girls here are 24ish. Most times, I can't tell. I have the same energy and positive outlook on life. I am probably more immature with my quirky humor. It doesn't seem to matter. However if I hear, "You're 34? You don't look it though," one more time... I am going to scream! Tonight, Anushca and I went out with our Korean co-teachers. They were adorable and so so cute. I was insanely excited to be hanging out with them. It was pretty special. We started talking about marriage. They all had their timeline. Everyone was 24. They were going to get married in two years and maybe have children around age 30. I got a bit sad thinking that there was once a time that I had that same timeline. I remember when 30 was old. All these girls are so hopeful. In this way, I am not the same. Jamie gave me a huge bottle of soju for my birthday that said, "Good things come to those who wait," and our joke is to continue to say "....and wait, and wait, and wait." My life has been very extraordinary. The people that have come into my life have made me feel so incredibly blessed. All of my relationships have been so worthwhile. When I was 24, I thought I would have had "a man, two car seats, and a minivan" by 30. Now, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I love Korea. It is just funny to see how people think that they can control their destiny. Tell God your plan and he laughs :)
...In other news...I have one set of western style sheets. I can usually wash them at 7am and they are dry by 8pm. For some reason, they are still wet...Oh life in Korea :)
Tomorrow is Friday. It was the fastest week of my life. The hours slip by so quickly here. Nothing too crazy happened... The usual...kids singing Gangnam style when I am trying to teach phonics, Korean BBQ twice, and a dish that for the life of me can't remember at this moment (ddeobokki??) with the Korean teachers that was so so good. The restaurant was called School Food. I said that name might not go over well in the states because it has a poor connotation. Turns out, they have a School Food in LA. I am sooo curious to go to it! I lost weight when I was sick, but now I am eating better than ever. I have never ever eaten this much meat. I love BBQ more than any other food. I have no idea how much I weigh. I might go to E-mart to "borrow" a scale in the store tomorrow! I ate Korean BBQ in the states, but I didn't fall in love with it the way I did here. How can I live without REAL Korean BBQ??? That will be a very sad day :)
Also, let me know if there is anything specific you want to know about me and my life in Korea. Like my Chicago Jaime says, "That would make a good blog topic!" Let me know :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Well, clearly you'll just have to learn to MAKE Korean BBQ. I'll graciously offer to help you test it out. :D
ReplyDeleteMaking Korean BBQ? What a novel idea!
ReplyDeleteWhat is the picture next to your post? I can't read whatever is written on the bottle.
ReplyDeleteFor what it's worth, I hope I'm like you in my 30s and not too caught up in some "timeline".