Saturday, September 15, 2012

Who needs a title? How about..."I love Korea and Korea loves me?"


Two of my girlfriends and I email often. They are so good at coming up with hilarious and catchy subject lines for their emails....My friend Dana has an incredible blog. I am usually already laughing at her title before I even get to the actual blog. I am not this kind of person, so bare with me. I also realize that many people I don't know are reading my blog. There are some AMAZING blogs out there. I know because I spend hours every night reading them. This blog is not one of them. There will be grammar mistakes. There will be nonsensical order of things. My co-worker wrote a beautiful account of our trip to the DMZ....I did not...Le sigh ;)
I am not exactly doing my best, but enjoy it anyway.

On to my thoughts of the day :)

Something that has been on my mind is how to act when you see a Westerner on the street. I have chosen to smile if they make eye contact. If they don't, I ignore them. I have talked about this at length with my friends here. Just because we are both from AMERICA!!! doesn't mean we should talk. I want friends from everywhere in the world, but you are going somewhere and so am I. It can be a little awkward. I remember when I worked at Six Flags Saint Louis. I rode the city bus where everyone was African-American. There was one blonde/white girl other than me. Do I talk to her? Sit by her? Ignore her? Ahhh the pressure. I ended up ignoring her. Ai yi yi. It is like that here.

Second, I think I am really down with culture. I am sometimes brutally aware that I am not. Three times I have met a person of Asian descent. All three times, I assume they are from Korea. All three times, they have been from either the US or Canada. All three times, I say I won't make that assumption ever again. Today, I went to Mass. I was surprised that everyone was Asian. There were 3 white men and their Asian wives. I asked a teenager why did she goes to English Mass. She said in accent free English, "I am from Toronto and I am not accustom to the Korean Mass." DUH Ellen. oi. Shame on me.

I am also happy that I am getting the swing of things. I easily enter my passcode to get in my apartment. I can get around on the subway without stressing. I know how to get home. I have a routine. Every day gets easier. (As soon as my ARC comes, I will be unstoppable!) If you have a loved one itching for adventure, then Seoul is a great place to start. So easy. Everyone is so willing to lend a hand. I met a group of Koreans through a meet up. They knew it was my birthday. They bought me bangle bracelets, tea, and a fancy cake from Paris Baguette! They didn't even meet me yet. I love Korea. I really love Korea :)

3 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm so happy for you! I love that strangers did all that for your birthday, sounds so welcoming. I wouldn't worry about your mistakes as far as other people's culture/language. The important part is to be kind and open when corrected, which I know you are. I mean, I used to speak Spanish to kids at school and have them glare at me and go "You're white. You no speak Spanish!" =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Ellen it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job and enjoying every minute! That is amazing that others made your big day so special. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad to hear you're settling in. Everyone you're meeting sounds so cool! (And thanks for the shout-out!)

    ReplyDelete