I knew this year would go by so fast. I only have 9 months left. I want Monday through Thursday to zoom by and I want the weekend to go so slow. I guess that is what everyone wants. The weekends go by painfully fast. This weekend was no exception. I am so happy to have a girl friend here who likes Halloween as much as me! We are going as Ninja Turtles. Thank you American Apparel in Gangnam for having a variety of sizes and everything green. That is all we did on Friday night- shop and more shopping!
The next day was my first real doctor appointment!
I have insurance. It is amazing. First, I can pick any doctor I want. Then, when I go in, I don't have to fill out any forms. My health exam is linked to my ARC (I believe). I waited 10 seconds and then I was called into the actual doctor's office!!!! Not a nurse, not a tech, the ACTUAL doctor. She was extremely proficient in English and wore red Chuck with her lab coat. She listened to my concerns THEN led me to the examination room. She did her job. Next, I went to the pharmacy. I had two weeks worth of pills and it came to $4.00. I have never felt so happy to go to the doctor in my life. It was such an amazing experience. It is the way it should be to go to the doctor. Saturday night, my Korean friend took me to see "Cest si Bon". It is a Korean oldies pop band. Many middle-aged Korean women were swooning all around me. I love to hear the guitar with any language. It reminded me of all the Vietnamese concerts I attended back in the day. I love the feeling of being the only caucasian person. I feel like I am experiencing something so very special. Afterwards, we went to a Norebong (Korean Karaoke). These particular friends were dry and we stayed many hours. I couldn't stop smiling. They tried to sing American songs for me. I didn't have the heart to tell them that I didn't know most of the songs they picked out. I am not a big Tom Jones or Paul Anka fan. Haha. I did blow them away with my CCR Fortunate Son. (Thank you raspy voice from never-ending cold.)
I rode bikes the next day and went to a Jimjilbang. This is a huge Korean spa. You get a locker and a uniform to wear. You are then directed to a sauna that has millions of salt rocks on the ground, high temperatures, and wood blocks (similar to the ones you might use in yoga) to place your head on. I went in twice for 15 min. intervals. I think you are supposed to stay longer, but I just couldn't lay there!
Next, is the hot tubs. There are many choices from cold bath to 38c, 40c, and 43c. I started out in the hottest and eventually went down to 38c. I loved it. Koreans are conservative people in public, but here, they walk around freely. I have never seen so many naked asian women in my life! Ha! They hang out with their friends. They talk freely as if they were in a cafe. I just can't see me and my friends hanging around like this. I was mostly ignored, but the younger girls stared a bit and that was awkward. I just closed my eyes and enjoyed the amazing experience. There is also a room where you can be scrubbed down. The marks it leaves is worse than Vietnamese coining. I want to get it done, but I am scared!! My skin is so sensitive! It was very affordable and open 24 hours. There is a pool, relaxing room, a mom and pop restaurant. It felt like a mini-vacation! I can't wait to go back! When I got home, I took a three hour nap and then went to Stephanie's house for another clothing swap. I picked up even more skirts and beauty products. It is sad that she is leaving to go back to Toronto. She is one of the most real people I have ever met. Her leaving will be a big loss to the community. It is also a strong reminder that my day to leave will also someday come. I wish I could just take the people I love in America and put them in Korea. Life would be perfect!!

You definitely have to post photos of your costume!
ReplyDeleteoh I will document more then you could ever imagine. hahah I love pictures!! :)You too!!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see you as a ninja turtle. Also, I've decided that you should just become a professional jet setter. See the people you love and the places you love, be a general badass. You'll have to work your way up to the private jet, but you're well on your way!
ReplyDeleteI like the way you think Alison. It is always good to have a goal.
ReplyDeleteIf you need an assistant, let me know. I have great references. :)
Delete