So I am in bed, recovering from a massive soju hangover. Last night was Stephanie's good-bye party. So so fun. I know I have said it a million times, but I love the girls I work with at Aran. They are such good people with adventurous spirits. I am really lucky to be here. Korea has been a very reflective time for me. I realize October to October is up there as one of the best years of my life.
The two years prior were not good. I was in Chicago while my father was battling cancer in Saint Louis. The guilt was unbearable knowing that my amazing brother was taking care of him. Losing a parent blows huge chunks. Then a few months later, I lost my favorite person in the entire world- my Grandma Missy. She is sassy and awesome and we were very connected. I miss her all the time. I also left a six year relationship that was almost a complete waste of time and should have ended at least four years earlier. Life was beating me up. I was working at a Catholic School that I LOOOOVED. I love my co-workers and I really really loved the kids, BUT it pays nothing and with Chicago rent and student loans, well I was very very broke. I needed a change in a big big way.
I got my acceptance letter in January? I am not exactly sure and my contract started in August. I had such a long time to prepare, worry, and get excited about moving to Korea. Of course, this is when I meet an amazing guy who showed me how I should have been treated all along. We dated for 7 months and every weekend was perfect. I don't know if he ever really knew how much I needed him at that time.
Now I am in Korea and everyday I grow. I am at a school where I am challenged to be the best. I will have so many skills to take home to my new classroom. I meet a new and incredible person around every corner. Of course, there are bad days, but it just feels amazing to be here. I had no idea how much I needed this experience till now. Sometimes you really need to get out of the fish bowl and get a new perspective. I am also so grateful to my mom for helping me and making sure I get to make my dreams come true.
Okay enough....Halloween tonight!!!! :)
So happy for you, Ellen. I feel like I may be repeating myself, but it's true. I remember when I saw you and how anxious you were right before you left. It's so wonderful to see that you went for your goal anyway and it is everything you dreamed of and more! (Also can't wait to see you when you get back, but if you end up staying even longer I'd still be happy for ya. =D)
ReplyDeleteNow we need a Halloween update!!!