Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Manila




I just came back from my amazing winter vacation. I have many thoughts about my experience. I didn't know what to expect when we arrived in Manila. Many people were asking us if we were going to stay in the more upscale and beautiful Boracay. People always gave us weird looks when we told them we were planning on staying in Manila. I am so happy with our trip. My co-workers and I got an amazing deal at the Sofitel Hotel. It was very luxurious and the service was top notch. It is hard to get accustomed to people doing things for you; when usually that is your job. I never opened a door the entire time I was there. I especially loved the staff at the Sunset Bar near the pool. By the end of the week, we were on a first name basis and it was feeling so lovely. Most days we drank cocktails, lounged by the pool, and enjoyed the amazingly warm weather. I wasn't cold once, not even a little. I already miss it so much. I am pretty sure that I would never miss the seasons if it were always hot. We arrived Christmas eve. I was not homesick like the other girls. I love my mom and brother with my whole heart, but the holidays also make me miss relatives that have passed and it is stressful to travel home all the time.

We actually stayed the first night in the Ramada. Everyone gave me their money back in Seoul for simplicity and I was to pay for us since I had a "Global Bank Card." The only problem was when we got there.. my card didn't work. Christmas eve and I am on the phone with the bank stressed. Ramada was so so nice. They asked me to not worry, they waived the deposit, and even tried to help me at the ATM. I was very very impressed. Fabulous staff.

The next day, we skyped with family and had our first cocktail by 10am. We had the week ahead of us! We took the shuttle to the Sofitel. The poverty we saw enroute was shocking. I have seen it in Mexico and Vietnam, but somehow you forget and your heart hurts again like the first time. I can't stand to see children suffer. We even saw a man entirely naked from head to toe cross the street and a man taking a "number 2" by the side of the road! We were not in Korea anymore!! At the resort, the security was tight. Our cab was searched by a drug/bomb(???) smelling dog. Then we went through a metal detector and another dog to enter the Sofitel. The hotel was stunning. The air smelled so fresh. We went straight to the pool. It was hard to transfer money. Going from Won to Peso, it took me a couple days to really understand the value of things. By the end of the trip, I was an expert. :)

Another day, we left the resort to go to a place called the Green Belt. It is a gigantic shopping plaza and if you don't notice that 96% of the people are Filipino you would swear you were in America. Part of me truly felt I could walk out of there and be home. We had the best food! I also had to have Wendy's. It is one of the franchises that I can't find in Korea. It was sooo good!

We also found this place called "Sticky Fingers." They had VERY strong drinks for only 50 Pesos. That is practically free! :) We stayed all afternoon. Mel and I stayed later and ended up finding a fabulous cover band called "Climax." Terrible terrible band name, but very talented band. After the show, we ended up having drinks with them and hearing all of their stories. It was an amazing time.

I loved sleeping in our rooms. My bed in Korea is very very hard. The Sofitel mattress is just heaven. They also have a pillow menu. You can choose the firmness of your pillow! Swanky! We were also addicted to the National Geographic Channel. Cruise ship diaries, and Weird Animals? Yes, please. I think we annoyed our neighbors because Mel and I were watching a squirrel get chased by a hawk at 2 in the morning and I couldn't help but cheer on the squirrel. Hey! I haven't watched real TV in five months! It was fabulous!

Sofitel is not a young people spring break destination. There were not many people our age. It was mostly couples and families. We didn't care. We just wanted heat and drinks. It was strange because many many bridal parties would sashay in and out while I am laying there in my bikini drinking San Miguel lite. I tried to take pictures of the different brides, but it got boring. :)

One night, the group had Hookah and enjoyed the evening weather. I tried to be outside as much as possible. Hard to believe only four hours away Korea had snow and below freezing temperatures.

Another day, we enjoyed historic Fort Santiago and American/Filipino fusion food. It seemed like such a swanky restaurant, but it was very affordable. On the way back, something a tad bit scary happened. I read so many stories about cab drivers trying to jip customers; although it is so cheap jipping means like $2. We get in a cab and I ask for meter. He asks us about our day and starts talking about package deals. I notice we are not on meter. I tell him to turn the meter on and he doesn't. I tell him to pull over and ask the girls to get out. He is trying to convince us to pay him him $80 pesos. (This is usually the total of our ride.) I refuse. I am proud of myself until I realize I don't know where we are. We try to catch a cab and beggars are approaching us. We finally get a cab and I get in to talk to the driver. I forgot to lock my door and a poor street kid opens the door and puts his hand in front of me. I didn't realize what was happening and I screamed and tried to push him away. I totally overreacted. He was a poor kid. 2 Pesos sent him on his way. I felt really bad. We found our way to the fruit market that we intended to visit and everything was fine. I didn't feel like such an independent woman after that.

The other thing that wasn't perfect about the trip was my bank card. The person on the phone told me that I had to go into a branch to get it all figured out and sign some form to allow my card to be accessible in ATM's around the world. Mandy graciously goes with me. Luckily, there is one KEB branch in Manila. We get there and it looks closed. I panic, but there is a sign that says they moved across the street! Our lucky day!! I am so happy. We get across the street only to be told that I can't get in cause of the dress code. I have flip-flops on. I beg him. I tell him I have no money and really need to talk to the bank. Nope. We return the next day and the women behind the counters says, "I see you left you slippers at home!" Yeah lady, thanks....
It is so hard to get access to the bank. You have to go through metal detectors, receive codes for your floor. It is very intimidating. When we get to the branch, the lady has the nerve to say, "Did you try an ATM with a Visa logo?" Oooooh really? No, I didn't try that. Seriously? She checks again and luckily my branch at Jukjeon remembers us and okays transactions before a form is signed back in Jukjeon (where I live). Finally, my card works. We started doing Gangnam style at the ATM when I finally could withdraw money. The security was laughing at us.

The transportation in Manila is cheap and fascinating. They have buses called Jeepneys. I will add a photo soon.
You can also ride in a side car on a bicycle or a side car on a motorbike. I prefer to ride behind the driver on a motorbike :) I rode one twice. Once, with the girls and one alone after church. Church was nice and in English. After church, I went to Shakey's??? I guess it is an amazing American chain that I never heard of. I ordered a Mango Milkshake at 9am. While I was waiting, the song "Young, Wild, and Free" by Wiz Khalifa came on the radio. The kids behind the counter were jamming, but then they all came to the front of the counter and were dancing and singing together. It was so fun. I also felt young, wild, and free. It was probably my favorite mini-moment of the trip. I rode the motor bike home alone. I was proud of myself. He didn't know where the Sofitel was so I got to see many parts of the city I otherwise wouldn't have seen. He was fair and kind. I felt excited to have had that experience. The regular cabs are interesting in Manila because many of them name their cabs. My favorite names were: Bachelor's Degree and Alien Home.

I heard about this place called the Coconut Palace. It was an extravagant place built in anticipation for Pope John Paul the II's visit. The leader spent all the nations money building it. When the Pope found out, he was outraged and passed on his visit. It happened to be at the end of the block that our hotel was on. Mandy and I walked down to check it out, but unfortunately it was closed. The military guy guarding it let us in to get a better picture. Then his girlfriend and her friend came out and asked to take a picture with us. They must have taken 8 pictures with us with various poses. Ridiculously funny. We left wondering how unexpected things can be.

The last moment of the trip, before we hit the airport, had us watching the gorgeous sunset. I never felt luckier! I really loved the trip. It was amazing to just enjoy the sun and relax with fabulous girlfriends. It was fun to have a little bit of mischief and adventure too! Manila is America, Mexico, and Vietnam smashed together. At first, I wasn't that excited to go. I thought I needed more adventure like Thailand or Malaysia, but I was surprised. Manila is very very exciting, fascinating, and interesting. I haven't ever really traveled anywhere where I didn't know someone to show me around. My friends Tony and Holly should have been there, but nooo~ they had to go to Hawaii to visit family for Christmas. :p I don't like feeling like a tourist. I like to do what the locals do, but I still had more than a fabulous time.

It was killer to come back home to the freezing cold, but I wouldn't change the experience for anything.



2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous. I went up to my folks' for Christmas, and it was an awesome time, of course, but there was twenty inches of snow! It was sort of overshooting the "white Christmas" thing a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are very brave (even if you screamed at the boy). Love reading about your adventuring and seeing the pictures. I too, am jealous of your vacation. Keep the blog entries coming please!

    ReplyDelete