Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Oh Korea~



(Picture: Me in front of my Chicago poster in my new red coat feeling very happy!)

Last night, I went to a wonderful restaurant named JFK. It is owned by a guy from New York City. It was a classy little place with delicious pasta. There are some decent Italian restaurants on CafĂ© street, but this is now my favorite place for Italian now. It is almost my 6 month anniversary in Korea. I wish I could fully explain to people what life is like on a day to day basis. I cried last night because I feel like I just got the hang of it and it will be time to start applying to jobs in Chicago soon. One of my best friends Jaime mentioned that we should have a girl’s trip when I get back. I love Jaime and Jeannine. I love them so so much, but my inner voice was screaming NO!!! Not yet. Who doesn't want to travel with their best friends???

Here is an example of awesome Korea. At JFK last night, I sat with my friends Beth and Paul and their two friends. We had great conversation about relationships and they asked why I was single. I told my story and then mentioned that I thought the Korean boy at the next table was handsome. A few minutes later one of the girls at our table said, “Don’t look now, but I just asked that guy if he thought you were cute and he said yes.” (um high school???) So we didn't look at each other or speak to each other, but numbers were exchanged through my friend. When she gave him my number, his table of 12 all started applauding and giving him high-fives…..Ai yi yi Very very embarrassing.

This is a country where if I want to hang out with the professional hockey team, you just shoot them an email and ta-da! You are having soju with the professional hockey team. The chef at JFK knows my name. Amazing. The Seoul Thunder Basketball team hangs at Gecko’s. Why can’t I just hang with Yadier Molina at home? What does it have to be difficult??

I know I should explore more of Korea, but it is also very comforting to go to places where they know your name. We go to Gecko’s restaurant at least once a week.. usually more. All the staff knows us and knows our order. Joe is my favorite and we are friends. Walking down the street, we have the pizza place and cell phone store. They always wave and know us. I have a huge crush on the Dunkin Doughnuts Girl. “Bagel with Cream cheese heated?” She guesses. Yes, please! Of course, Korean BBQ always tells people we are their VIP’s. It is great. The 7-11 guy speaks English and is always excited to see me. Our other favorite bar Jukebox always plays our favorite songs. The owner is great despite yelling at me and my friend for dancing in the bar my first night there.  He has since forgiven us. Service! I also love my church. For the first time in a long time, I feel like I am part of the community. Father Peter is the sweetest and funniest priest. It is nice to be known in a foreign country.

4 comments:

  1. I felt the same way when I was in London, and I was only there three months! Strangely enough (or maybe just silly enough), it's the same here. (Don't laugh, it's the big, bad city, you know...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance you could stay longer? I know I would want to...
    Also, so happy you posted again! I've been waiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Ellen, and following your adventures. Have a great week! Well have to stake out Paddios one of these times when you come back to St. Louis to get your Cards fix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blog, Ellen. So glad we got to meet the other night at JFK! See you tomorrow. Same time, same place! Woohoo for pizza and wine! Oh the cravings of an expat in Korea. Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete