Overall, the past weekend was amazing. There was Songfest at my school and I helped my favorite bar put on a very successful valentine's day party. The next day, I was still able to get ashes at mass and I got to watch Anyang Halla Hockey. It was the finals against Japan and there were fights galore. We sit close to the rink so the hits are so much fun. I love it. I always look forward to going. Tonight, my friend Cindy (who got me hooked) told me that they changed the final game to be in Ilsan. There was supposed to be a party to meet the players and that was cancelled. I am so sad about this. When you leave Korea; you leave everything behind. It is not like New York where I can go back anytime I want. I probably will never see an Anyang Hockey game again. I know most of you are thinking what's the big deal, but I guess it is more symbolic. I posted a blog before about how I love my neighborhood and I know everyone. I had the proverbial punch in the face this week when I was rudely reminded that this is Korea and things change and they change fast. I have talked a lot about Gecko's. We love the staff and always feel comfortable and safe there. I come in Friday to find that my favorite bartender quit just like that, later I find out my English speaking BBQ guy is quitting. I go to the bank and the only English speaking banker transferred! I was getting so upset. The guy at the bank is always so helpful for us. He wires money for us, fixed my problem in Manila...heck he even booked my ticket for me! Anushca is also leaving next week and I am not doing well with that either. Cindy also noted at the game Sunday that I wasn't writing how much I love Korea every five seconds on Facebook anymore. I told her there was something to that. If I am going to go home, I can't fall in love with this country any more than I already have. I am meeting new people and really finding my place here. That scares me.
I have had some "oh Ellen!" moments. I get a lot of bills here. Some are tax statements..junk..parking tickets for my boss. I get confused what everything is...being in Korean and all. Turns out, I didn't pay my gas bill in quite sometime...oopsy and they turned it off. No gas for the stove, no heat, and no hot water for the shower. For some reason my apartment is never that cold (maybe because of the Italian restaurant below me?) and I have my electric blanket...but the cold showers were killing me haha! Luckily, Jennifer my amazing Korean coworker got it all settled for me and I took an hour long hot shower tonight :) Never take for granted the small things.
No comments:
Post a Comment