Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cafes and 5ks

I am at Cafe Knock next to my house. It is an adorable cafe that serves $8 smoothies. I am listening to one of my favorite Kpop songs:긋모닝. I recognize so much Kpop and love it. I hope my co-workers burns me a CD of my favorites :)

I had one of the most amazing weekends. Friday night, Monica, Mandy, and I decided to visit our favorite bartender Joe at his new job. It was in a nearby town called Suwon. It looked so shady on the outside, but once you made your way in, it was fantastic! 15,000w gets you unlimited cocktails. Some of these said cocktails are very fancy. At 11pm, they put on a show ala "Cocktail: Tom Cruise." It was awesome. Juggling, lighting things on fire, pouring crazy drinks in fancy~ ways. They said something on the loud speaker. A second later, they awarded a Midori sour to the most "chaste" looking girl in the crowd. They chose me. I think they picked correctly :) I love this place.

The next day was rainy, but we had a great time. Seoul is huge. There seems to be an unlimited amount of neighborhoods to explore. Hongdea is a university area and the place we usually spend at night. However, there is tons to do in the day too! Korea has the most bizarre cafes. First, Sara (who is from Australia) got to enjoy her first Taco Bell. Haha! Then, we went to the Hello Kitty Cafe. I like pink, but this place gave me a headache and was packed. The second place we went to was a sheep cafe. I love animals! I have a special place in my heart for farm animals too and I have no idea why. I just adore pigs, goats, and sheep. They are so cute! This cafe had two sheep outside. It was clear that they were well taken care of and very clean. The owner let us feed them and they seemed happy little animals. We had juice in these adorable mini carafes. It was on the lower level and I felt far from Seoul right smack in the middle of it. I enjoyed this cafe very much.


We had a third cafe on the list, but it turns out that you need reservations. I don't want to tell you what it is because I have a feeling that it will be a blog in itself. We went to the Trick Eye Museum instead. Cheesy- picture- person paradise (AKA Me!) Some photo opportunities were dumb, but some were quite good. It is so fun to look like your are jumping out of a famous painting. Some of the pictures were quite naughty. I don't know why I am always surprised, but honestly this is the same country that tried to control skirt lengths by law. Oh Korea~ We shopped in the Ewha Woman's university area and had awesome seafood pasta for dinner. We headed home and I had to call it a night.


The next day, I ran a 5k. I feel kind of lame, because many of my friends are marathon runners. I was always the bag check girl. I have checked bags for the San Diego Marathon, the Shamrock shuffle, and the Chicago Marathon. I am quite good at putting bags in boxes haha!
I love being part of the scene, but never thought I could even run a mile successfully. I have been running/walking 5k 2 or 3x a week on the treadmill for over a month now. I didn't know how that would translate to pavement. It ended up translating very well! I ran the entire thing with the help of my friend Sara. We ran through the streets of Korea! How amazing is that??? I was elated. We ran along the creek and by the cherry blossoms. It was over and I couldn't even believe it. I wasn't even tired. My time was 35min. Sara and I kept a steady pace because we didn't really know how far we had been going. The first marker said "Oh Dog! 3k" We thought that meant we had 3k to go, but really we had already gone 3k. (Apparantly, Oh Dog! is a sponsor of some kind??) Mandy was at the finish line to cheer us on (kinda ;p) and we got a medal. I feel kind of shameful for getting a medal for something that felt like we ran around the block, but okay! We got goodies and a fantastic backpack. I was ridiculously happy. I had this goal for sooooo long and now I did it. Go me :)


I rewarded myself by going to the Jimjilbang (sauna/hot tub place) and sharing a hot tub with a bunch of naked old Korea ladies. I can't believe this was only my second time going. There is a Jimjilbang literally one block away from my house. It is such a wonderful experience. The attendant lady gave me tour that was far too extensive. (I know how to put a key in a locker, lady!) Aiyiy. I still can't get comfortable walking around naked (especially as the only blonde chick) but I am getting there. They had this amazing massage tub that almost took off a layer of skin, but it felt great. A lady tried to talk to me as usual. Why do people always think I am Russian?? I also wonder if I can get Val, Joe, and my mom to go when they visit? Hahaha probably not.


Fan-tas-tic weekend!

PS: My co-workers have seen neither Cocktail OR When Harry Met Sally...This is a tragedy. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment