Thursday, April 11, 2013

Spring Time in Korea

I am sitting at Jukebox, a cute place where you can request any music that you want. If I owned a bar, I would want it to be like Jukebox. I have had so many awesome experiences lately, but I am so lazy and I can't seem to discipline myself to sit down and write about it. A Facebook status is about as much as I can muster.

A few Sundays ago, I took a trip alone to find some of the best Vietnamese food. It was quite an experience. First, even with google maps, I went the entirely wrong way. Don't ask me how that is possible, but I luckily stumbled across an express bus terminal that took me directly to my destination. Ansan is about 1.5 hours on the bus away from my home. It has an international street of true ethnic foods. My eyes couldn't believe how many real Vietnamese, Thai, and other Asian restaurants there were. I was met with many stares and some cat calls as I was walking downs the street. I settled on a restaurant that looked delicious. As I walked in, the familiar voices of Vietnam surrounded me. I was met by three staff members who not only sat me down, but sat with me. They were very curious as to why I was alone and why I chose the restaurant. When I told them about my experience in Vietnam, they were so proud that I loved their country. The waiter sat with me throughout my meal and even took a random unexpected photo of him kissing my hand. We are now Facebook friends :)



The following weekend, I went camping with the trainers of my gym- Fitness Camp. I don't know what I was expecting, but it was so ugly. We had to pass over a pond or something and the road was so narrow. There wasn't anything especially beautiful to look at. It looked like we were camping in a shandy. Honestly. The "lake" was very large, but lined with garbage and boat debris. It was still very chilly and Melissa and I were not sure what to expect. Everyone began pitching in and we had no idea how to help. We didn't even know what to pack. They only told us to bring ourselves. I, of course, had no camping gear. I brought a huge blanket and a billion clothes. I didn't know if we were camping under the stars or what. Our sleeping arrangements were actually the fitness camp tent and a space heater. It was quite cozy. The day was nice, a bit rainy, and sometimes awkward. We went rowing in rickety boats. Melissa is excellent at rowing. Thank God, because the guy who was supposed to be our 'caretaker' sucked completely at rowing. We did eat amazing amazing food all day long. They brought their entire kitchen. I never ate so well on a camping trip in my entire life. The Koreans didn't speak much English and were terribly shy. We also had zero sleep from the night before and weren't very motivated to talk. A set of parents from Aran school and their son (not in my class) also joined us for the day. I thought it would put a damper on the day because I would have to be professional and have my teacher hat on, but they were very relaxed and were very enjoyable. Things got very interesting in the evening when the soju began to flow. Koreans who didn't speak English a few hours earlier were asking us very personal questions and spoke pretty good English! We danced and laughed. I was really happy with the evening. We really bonded with our trainers and the regulars at the gym. The gym owner confessed to his wife, who in-turn confessed to us, that he thought we were snobs and terrible people because of how we were acting at the beginning of the trip. Apparently, only Koreans are allowed to be shy. I make sure to make a special effort to say hello to him at the gym when I go. By the way, going to the gym is so much more fun now. It is like a mini-family. I know everyone and everyone is so supportive. I will miss them.



Last weekend, we went to see the cherry blossoms in Gyeongju. It is on the Central East part of Korea. It was beautiful. I love cherry blossoms. I always have. I have never seen so many at one time. The times I went to DC to see them, I was too late. You can't imagine how many cherry blossoms this town has. With the mountain backdrop and the picturesque homes...it was so beautiful. We went with a tour group. It was raining the entire Saturday and the biking part of the weekend was postponed to Sunday. We walked around Silla Dynasty tombs and temples in the rain. I had to buy a poncho and umbrella. It was pretty ridiculous. Melissa, Melissa, and Sara are fabulous company. It made the rainy day fun! For some reason, I went under the coach for various things twice. Then I realized I needed a battery charger too. I asked Sara to pretend that she needed something so I wouldn't have to ask the driver again. She did. What a good friend :) I am sure she is grateful for that random towel she picked out! lol The next morning, we got to ride bicycles. Cherry blossom and bicycles??? I am in heaven. The air felt so wonderful. The rain had stopped. It wasn't too hot or too cold. Our tour group wasn't really into biking (oddly enough) and we lost them. We had some traditional food, biked around the lake, had our picture taken by so many people. Blonde on a bike! Cool! I recommend this trip. Even with the raining Saturday, it was a wonderful experience.




I know this summer is going to be amazing. I know home is where I need to be, but it is going to be so so so difficult to leave this country that seems to be made just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment