Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Mom's Visit, Job Search, and a Typical Korean Situation.

My mind is not calm. I am so emotional this week. I know all my blogs are all over the place, but this one will be a bit more than usual. I have been sick to my stomach for at least a month worrying about employment and where fate truly wants me. I love Korea so much, I cry a bit every time I think about leaving, but there is a nagging that says I need to be in Chicago. I heard that 1,500 teachers got laid off and I couldn't believe that I would have to try to find a job from Korea. I was flattered and grateful for several friends who sent me ideas or teacher openings. A few years ago, I worked at a year around preschool that had unrealistic and sometimes unethical expectations. Most people only lasted a year (including me). The fantastic part about this job were my co-workers. They certainly hired wonderful people. One of the women, who is kind of a mentor to me, helped me get a kindergarten teaching job in Edgewater! I couldn't be happier. The school has high expectations, but I already met the girls I will be working with and they seem fantastic. My heart is relieved. I am excited. I can enjoy the rest of my time in Korea without trouble. I can look for an apartment. Life is so so so good right now. But the realization that I am leaving Korea leaves me with a heavy heart. Things are exciting, thrilling, and simple. I am not looking forward to dealing with some broken friendships when I get back, paying rent, and ending my adventures. At least it is Chicago. One of my best friends is moving back from Dallas at the same time. It will be great. I am so so grateful for this amazing job. I am the luckiest girl alive. Truly.

My mom is in Korea!!! I want to show her an experience of a life time. It is hard to work, be tour guide, and not be grouchy. I am really really proud of my mom. She has eaten everything from BBQ to Bimibop to fresh Busan clams...pretty cool mom, pretty cool! Busan was wonderful, but the tour bus was crowded and we did our own tour. I wanted to stay at the Wa Motel, but it was all booked. We stayed right next door at the Hotel The Sun. It was classy, but not nearly as fun as the Wa Motel. Bummer. We walked all over, finally saw the Fish Market, and the other street markets. We spent a huge chunk of time strolling the markets. Sunday was very very busy. I didn't think the Busan Modern Art Museum would be cool, but I LOVED it. So interesting and cool. Next, we went to the Busan Museum. We tried to find an elevator and stumbled upon a traditional tea. The lady was brutal. She expected perfect posture, perfect placement of hands, and perfect routine. She didn't speak English and was very intimidating. Luckily, there were a couple of adorable girls from Taiwan who also spoke Korean and English to help us out. I will never be a refined traditional Korean woman. Wow. Next, we got to try on traditional Korean Hanboks. I was a princess. It was incredible. I am so proud of my mom for giving it a go and trying on the Queen outfit. We found all of this by mistake. Absolutely wonderful. The actually museum was okay, but I am very grateful for this experience. Next, we went to the world's largest department store Shinsegea. There we ate Denmark hotdogs, watched Big Bang, and children ice skating.
We visited the United Nations Memorial. My mom told me that my Grandfather was a Marine in the Korean War in Incheon. His two friends died by roadside bomb and my grandfather was severely injured. We saw his friend's name on the wall. I never thought much about it as a child. It is hard to believe I am not the first person living on Korean soil from my family. Our experiences so very different. Koreans love and appreciate their freedom so much. I am proud of my Grandpa.

It was time to head back on the speed KTX train. We were both pretty exhausted. I hope my mom loved Busan. I took her to Ganganam the next night. It is miles and miles of underground shopping. I also took her to a cat cafe. Somehow, they make 20 cats in one place completely fresh and inviting. Such a wonderful place and so much fun.

Today, my mom came to my school. I am so excited that she could meet my kids. It was a crazy crazy day. One of the craziest things happened to us during lunch. I wanted to get the balloons for my friend's reception. There was a party store nearby or so we thought. We walk down there in the rain and then it was closed. There was a mom and daughter standing at the bus stop. They asked us if we needed help. They told me numerous stores that sold the balloons that I needed. We thanked them and walked away. A moment later, they called out to us. They had called the number and the owner of the store said she would come pick us up and take us to the new store. When she arrived I had to return from lunch. She drove us back to work, actually took the balloons samples that I had. She drove to her store, got my balloons, and drove BACK to my school where I paid. CRAAAAAAZY. Could you imagine this happening in Chicago? The hospitality of both the mother and daughter and especially the balloon owner was mind boggling. Crazy. My purchase was less than 15 bucks. Oh Korea! I love you soooooooooo!

3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Come August I will be moving to Yongin for at least a year. I will be teaching at a small Christian school there. I came across your blog in order to gain some insight into living in Yongin. Do you have any advice for me before I leave?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where will you be in Yongin Lisa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be in the Bojeong-dong area.

    ReplyDelete