Thursday, May 2, 2013

The funny thing about memories...

When I graduated college, I did a year of service for Americorp. During the summer, I lived at a soup kitchen/ shelter with Sallie and 6 or so German boys in Wicker Park. Needless to say it was the best summer of my life. My dear friend spent the nights he worked at the shelter (while the guests were sleeping) writing in his diary. He wrote so freely and honestly. When I visited Germany years later, we spent the evening reading the diary and the memories I long forgot came back to me. How very very precious was this diary. I forgot so many things. He recently sent me an entry that made my whole day. I remember how innocent those days were. I also realized that my entire 20's went by without any diary and now I wish I had one. For Korea, all I have is this blog which doesn't really capture the crazy high and lows that come with this experience. I regret not keeping a personal diary. I guess that is why I am so big on pictures. I wonder what will pass from my memory and what will stay of this experience. All the girls in my group are at very different stages of life, but because we work and play together I see the changes in each of them... all for the better. It doesn't seem possible that I could care so much for the Aran girls. Girls are not supposed to get along this well.

~~In other news, my friends are wondering about the situation at my school. The first few weeks of the new term were pure hell. I didn't think I was going to make it. Things are not easy, but they are better. I am now accustomed to more shorter faster pace classes. I am in love with each and all of my Korean 5's. I think a few are in love with me too. Some of them look at me like I am the love of their life. :) My after-school immersion class is drastically better. My naughty one decided he was only going to be naughty just 30% of the time and the strategies we use to handle the other 4 or 5 are working. I realize "A" can't sit down. She just can't and her smile and little singing voice melts a million hearts. "J" my beautiful gossip girl (who only calls me "Mommy") is a drama queen who always gets her way. If you kinda accept this then things get easier. So many of the more naughty kids could have been in our immersion. I am now actually very very grateful for our group as they mature and fall into routine. I am also extremely grateful for my co-worker Monica. She handles me very well and I adore her. I find that I am already picking up on her mannerisms and expressions, as I seem to do...Why?????~~~ :P
Don't worry Anushca I still say "Honestly" constantly.



There are so many of these kids I want to steal and run away with...so many times I catch my breath and say this is my job??? Teach English..rent free to naughty Asian kids??? Why, yes it is....

No comments:

Post a Comment