Thursday, July 4, 2013

Mom Part Two

Life has been so busy and because I waited so long I am sure that I am going to miss so many things that I want to remember. My mom and I stayed busy almost everyday after school. A highlight of the week was Namsam Tower. We took a cable car to the top of the mountain and had stunning night views of Seoul. There were so many stairs and my mom had injured her knee. It is very hard to get around Seoul if you have a bit of disability. The buses are not only not handicap accessible, but also have gigantic steps. I notice now that Ajummas literally climb into the bus sometimes. At Namsam, I tried to find the elevator to go down to go up. A security guard saw us and told us the elevator wasn't working. When he saw our disappointment he let us bypass the line and go up the exit elevator. It was funny because we stopped to pick up passengers on the correct floor and they were all wondering where we were coming from. Very cool. I took my mom to the night market, palaces, tombs, and temples. I have to say I liked having the Mandu followed up by foot tall soft serve ice cream cones. I took my mom to Katie Mae's wedding. It was nice, but we had to get out fast to make sure Gecko's was ready for the reception. My mom took care of the guest book. I am very grateful that she could watch it and hopefully she met some cool people in the process. The reception was wonderful, but there were some problems with the sound. I sound checked twice, but not when other sound was playing (Rookie mistake) luckily the maid of honor was a theatre girl and got the sound fixed in no time. I am proud of Gecko's for putting on a great reception. I really loved helping and seeing a finished product through.


The next day, we met the priest at my church for brunch along with my friends Beth and Paul. Fr. Peter is sweet, sincere, and so funny. We were talking casually and were talking about interacial couples among other things. I told him that it is called "Yellow Fever" when someone of caucasian background likes someone of Asian background. I didn't mention that is could be offensive or slang. My mom and I went to church a bit later because it was my turn to read at mass. During the homily, Father starts going on and on about love. He then says in front of the congregation, "Ellen, what is the type of love you were telling me about earlier?" I was so embarrassed I turn a million shades of red. The only white people in the church besides me are people there with their Asian significant others. It was definitely not appropriate for church. Luckily he let it go.
My moms visit went by much much faster than I thought it would. I wish I would have had time off so that I could do more with her, but I am so proud of how adventurous she was. She ate everything and was up for anything. I always thought I got my wild side from my father, but I now see it is just as much from my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment