Monday, November 12, 2012
Ellen's Sad Little Trip to the Gym
So my moods in Korea are either that of total euphoria or times of loneliness. Talking it over with my friends, we decided it would be best for me to join a gym. You know... stay a little busy during the week and get the blood flowing. I checked out a few gyms and decided that I should probably pick the gym that is literally across the street. The recruiter was an adorable girl names Jenny. She spoke great English and was so happy. The gym is new and everything in it sparkles. Even though everyone else joined the gym up the hill, I decided that this was a better fit.
They promised personal attention and free updates to my workout every two weeks.
I was so excited! Control the controllable.
Keep in mind I literally worked inside a health club for 5 years. I was surrounded by personal trainers and fitness people constantly. I could tell you how many times I actually worked out there on my hands and toes, which is very sad considering how long I worked there. Yoga is all I really ever do.
So tonight, after work, I was pumped. I went in all positive. Jenny is my assigned personal trainer. (kinda disappointing because the other one is a very cute boy :) )She takes my BMI and tells me I have 5 kilograms too much fat on my body. THEN she tells me according to all these numbers that my body age is 38!!! WHATTTT I can't believe it. I am all like yeah? Can a 38 year old dance from 11- 4 in the morning straight??? It can't be that bad. I get put on the treadmill. Only 30 minutes with intervals of 4min walk, 1min run at 6km and 9km. Very very easy. See?
But then...we do weights, the kettle ball, and squats....omg.... I paid all this money to be tortured? I am dying. She promises me that I won't die. Sweet Jenny turned into a drill sergeant. She says, "You seem skinny, but I can tell now your lower half is heavier than your top." Gee, thanks Jenny! I happen to like my lower half. She insists that I look at my body as I work out. I don't want to do that. I make it through. We talk about my plan and she wants me to come again tomorrow. She also tells me that I am on the crossfit program. On a scale of 1-10- I am on level one, but not to worry, I will get better. Oh Jenny, you need some work on motivation! I can't believe I have to do the exact same thing tomorrow. I just wanted to pick up some weights...run a bit on the treadmill, and call it a day. I didn't realize what I was getting into. Haha. No backing out now. I paid too much! But really, I am very proud of myself. I refuse to let my body be 4 years older than it is. Wow, what a wake-up call. Where do you guys get the intrinsic motivation to do this???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This makes me want to join that gym. Also, LOVE the title of your blog. Cleaver!
ReplyDeleteThis totally reminds me of How I Met Your Mother when they all joined the gym, and Marshall ended up with the super mean personal trainer. Hang in there, soon you'll be able to dance from 11-7 in the morning from all your new-found energy (from getting younger of course)! :-)
ReplyDeleteI have a set of pedals. They are on the floor in front of the couch. I watch TV and sort of pedal--when the plot isn't so interesting that I forget...
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'm lazy.