Koreans always dress so they are ready to meet either their soul mate or their worst enemy. I can't tell you how many times I have sat on the subway next to a girl who looks at herself the entire time on the train. Readjusting her bangs for ten stops. I envy their ability to walk miles in high heels. The women here are either amazingly classy or boycott the whole thing and wear Converse and black framed glasses.
Korea has so many plastic surgery places, it is shocking. In 3 out of 4 subway stations, there are places to buy low to very high end beauty products. Every time I am on the subway, I joke that I wish I could find somewhere to buy lipstick. It is ridiculous. So. Many. Beauty. Products.
Koreans look down upon showing cleavage or shoulders. A big change for me (not the cleavage part, but the shoulders part) I live in tanks in the summer. HOWEVER, winter, summer, spring and fall, Koreans NEVER stop wearing their very short shorts and their tiny dresses. Tights are popular too, but not always. I am assimilating to Korean culture and I try to wear a dress/skirt everyday to work. I also bought an elegant coat.
I also did the Magic Perm at Juno Hair. I think my Vietnamese guy on Argyle in Chicago does a better job, but it was much much cheaper here. Magic perm straightens your hair for 4-6 months. I was there all day. I got free coffee, had my hair washed four times with head massages. I was treated like a celebrity. They gave me an Ipad to play with, ask me so many questions about my life in Korea....I could get use to that kind of treatment. It was nice to treat myself.



Lookin' good, lady!
ReplyDelete