Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Safety 101


I live off of Jukjeon street. It is a bustling street with stores 9 stories high. Everything you can want is on this street. Seriously, everything. Many funny things happen to me on this street. This is where I took the photo with the 10 high school kids. This is where I saw sexy cheerleaders doing Gangnam style outside a newly opened chicken fast food restaurant. This is where I held a live squid in my hand.This is a happening street!

Last night, Melissa and the two gym teachers were waiting for our other friends to arrive outside CafĂ© Bene. It is a place where we always meet. In a moment, my back hurt and even though it was my upper back, my first thought was that I was hit by a motorbike. I don’t know what kind of motorbikes would only hit you on your upper back, but whatever; the point was that I didn’t even conceive that someone would hit me. I turned around and it was an older lady who looked like she might have some issues. She then saw Melissa and went straight for her face, but missed. I couldn't believe it. She continued on down the street as if nothing happened. It was so strange.
Last year, I saw a blonde girl get hit without reason on the Red line in Chicago at 69th Street. I was shocked by that, but here we talk everyday about how safe we feel. There are security cameras everywhere. Walking home at night is a nice serene feeling. Asking around and it seems that the only thing we have to worry about is sexual assault. Cab drivers have been known to take advantage of drunk foreigners. In Chicago, I always worried about everything.
I found this comparison chart of how people feel about crime in Chicago Versus Seoul and I agree with what it found. I still feel very safe in Seoul, but the throbbing on my back a whole day later reminds me that I can never completely let my guard down.
http://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=South+Korea&city1=Chicago%2C+IL&city2=Seoul

No comments:

Post a Comment