If you get irritated by the amount of "Hallmark Holidays" that are in the States, then Korea might not be for you. They have all sorts of crazy days. Most I enjoy because they involve chocolate on sale.
Sunday is PPeppero day. Here is a blip about it from Discovering Korea:
"November 11th has been celebrated as “Ppeppero Day,” named after a snack sold by the Lotte Confectionary Company. The long cookie sticks, typically dipped in chocolate, share the same shape as the number “1” and thus, have inspired an annual ritual of young lovers and office workers exchanging gift boxes of the candy."
Lotte company literally owns everything in Korea. It is fun to walk up and down the street and see so many types of these sticks. They sell them in Chicago for sure. Go get some and celebrate with me! They are simple and yummy!
There are other holidays that I am looking forward to experiencing.
There is normal Valentines Day on February 14. This is supposed to be crazy in Seoul, but it’s women who give the gifts.
March 14th, White Day, "when men are supposed to return the favor at three-times the value of the gift they received back in February". Can you see why I love Korea????? Awesomeness.
I think my favorite day to celebrate here in Korea is
April 14th the dreaded “Black Day.” Hahaha....Also known as “solo regiment” (μλ‘λΆλ), this is a day for people without love. Unfortunately, there is no special chocolate for this day. So really... what a sham! You are supposed to eat a noodle dish called: jjajangmyun and mourn...No thank you!


Maybe it's not supposed to be funny, but the idea of a "Black Day" to mourn for people without love made me laugh out loud. Sounds like something a melodramatic kid made up. Why not make it a day to share love with those who may not have it instead of mourn it? Ppeppero Day sounds awesome though. We should have a day for every candy so that we have to eat candy more! =) Did you celebrate?
ReplyDeleteI agree! Alison, and yes the official holiday is Sunday. I heard we get a lot of sticks on Monday from the kids, but we have been eating them for the last two days :)
ReplyDeleteThis is fantastic! I love the idea of White Day, but Jeff says it's ridiculous... as he would. ;-) And I'm sorry but Black Day is hilarious! Eat a bowl of noodles and mourn lack of love. Too funny.
ReplyDeleteWhat ever happened with your other Korea blog - do you still write in that one? If so, let me know. I know I lost the link after you sent it out initially.
There is no other blog, I can barely write in this one, but thanks for keeping up!
ReplyDeleteEat noodles and mourn? Yeah, that sounds about right. :)
ReplyDelete